Title: Medical Assistant
The Medical Assistant performs a variety of administrative and clinical tasks directly related to providing and supporting quality patient care. Essential job duties include working directly with providers to ensure all patients receive care according to the provider’s instructions; delivering excellent service by assisting patients over the phone and in person with any inquiries; and providing administrative support according to established Matagorda Medical Group protocol.
- Maintains effective and organized system to ensure timely patient flow.
- Escorts patients to exam rooms and interviews them to obtain necessary medical information and prepares them for the provider’s examination.
- Records patient’s vital signs, medication usage, and medical histories.
- Assists providers in exam rooms per established clinic protocol.
- Performs nursing procedures under supervision of the provider according to established clinic protocol.
- Explains treatment procedures, medication usage, dietary restrictions, and other physician instructions to patients.
- Prepares or confirms that all needed reports, information, and authorizations are available prior to the patient’s appointment.
- Provides excellent customer service by assisting patients, other staff, physicians, and pharmacies with any inquires; processes messages from patients and front office staff to providers.
- Uses the utmost tact and diplomacy while interacting with patients to ensure excellent patient care and satisfaction. Exercises problem-solving and conflict resolution skills when handling patient complaints and refers to appropriate designated personnel as needed.
- Adheres to confidentiality and privacy guidelines in accordance with all Matagorda Medical Group policies and HIPAA requirements to protect patient’s personal and financial information.
- Answers calls and takes complete messages or directs to other staff as appropriate.
- Maintains good relations with patients, staff, and other departments.
- Other related duties specific to the primary or specialty clinic.
- Other related duties assigned as the job requires.
- Three or more years of relevant outpatient clinic experience preferred.
- Previous clinical staff management preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of patient flow in an outpatient clinic setting required.
- Ability to fluently read, write, and speak in English.
- Basic clerical skills such answering phones, operating office equipment (computer, fax, and copier) and coordinating workflow.
- Ability and willingness to interact with all patients and coworkers in a professional and helpful manner.
- Prolonged, extensive, or considerable standing and walking. Lifting, positioning, pushing and /or transferring patients.
- Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, and crouching.
- Lifting and/or moving items to 25 pounds.
- Regularly required to talk and hear.
Hours Required: Full time
Reports to: Clinical Staff Supervisor