The Medical Biller performs a variety of tasks directly related to providing and supporting quality patient care. Essential job duties include working directly with insurance companies, providers, and patients to ensure claims are accurately and promptly processed and paid; providing excellent service by assisting patients over the phone and in person with any account inquiries; and providing administrative support according to established Matagorda Medical Group protocol.
- Reviews patient bills for accuracy and completeness and obtains any missing information.
- Submits claims to insurance companies and other third-party payers in a timely manner per established clinic protocol.
- Processes insurance payments and verifies accuracy and compliance with contract discounts and contacts insurance companies regarding any discrepancies.
- Posts transactions and reconciles payments to patient accounts.
- Researches and resolves any conflicts regarding payments and reimbursements to patient accounts.
- Follows up on any unpaid claims within the standard billing cycle timeframe.
- Provides excellent customer service by assisting patients with any account inquiries.
- Uses the utmost tact and diplomacy while interacting with patients to ensure excellent patient care and satisfaction. Exercises problem-solving and conflict resolution skills when handling patient complaints and refers to appropriate designated personnel as needed.
- Adheres to confidentiality and privacy guidelines in accordance with all Matagorda Medical Group policies and HIPAA requirements to protect patient’s personal and financial information.
- Maintains billing records and files and ensures quality results by following established clinic protocol.
- Answers calls and takes complete messages or directs to other staff as appropriate.
- Maintains good relations with patients, staff, and other departments.
- Other related duties assigned as the job requires.
- High School diploma or GED required. Specialized training or education preferred.
- One year of billing/coding experience in a healthcare environment required.
- Knowledge of insurance guidelines, especially Medicare and state Medicaid.
- Ability to fluently read, write, and speak in English.
- Basic clerical skills such as answering phones, operating office equipment (computer, fax, and copier), and coordinating workflow.
- Ability and willingness to interact with all patients and coworkers in a professional and helpful manner.
- Prolonged, extensive, or considerable sitting and standing.
- Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, and crouching.
- Lifting and/or moving items up to 20 pounds.
- Regularly required to talk and hear.
Hours Required: Full time
Reports To: Business Office Supervisor